Monday, February 10, 2014

Protection

I try my hardest to protect my little girls. As friendly as Lucy can be, I guard her from strangers. Harper has never been "passed" around relief society. I wash my hands often and request those around us to wash too. I can be momzilla when random people at the store want to talk or touch the girls. 

But, and a big but, I will never be able to 100% shield them from the world. As much as we teach them to do what is right, others are showing them what is wrong. I thing I am a little numb to different things and am not as sensitive to things that I should be. I don't shield my eyes like I would the girls when a half naked person is on TV and foul language on the radio doesn't bother me when the kids aren't in the car. 

I've been thinking a lot about protection as the girls and I have been stuck in the house with nasty colds for the past week and a half. I keep a (mostly) clean house, sanitize regularly, and take vitamins but I couldn't stop an outside source from getting us sick. Lucy and Harper go to the gym daycare every morning. I can't stop another parent from bringing their sick child to the gym. 

I've had time to think about what I can so as a parent. I can teach them the gospel. I can teach them to be kind and loving. But I think mostly I can set a better example and not let others damper my spirit. 

I pray for them to grow up strong in the church. I pray for them to be examples to their friends. I pray for them to be strong and walk away when faced with temptations. 

We are on the up and up with our health. Harper has slept probably 20 of the last 24 hours and Lucy has started eating again- it's funny how they each have their own way to fight this. Fevers are starting to break and toys are finally being played with again. 






No comments: